Strasbourg: return to civilization

strasbourg.001

having lived there for 2 years several years ago, Spy laughed at my assertion that Strasbourg would feel like the epitome of refined urban living after what i’d endured at Marne-la-Vallée. i’m happy to say i was right. this adorable city treated me to a proper hotel with a life-changing shower situation (no joke) and internet from this century, along with a host of other lovely moments for my eyes and mouth as we toured and tasted our way down memory lane. with a suddenly slower, more relaxed pace to our days, i think this may have been my favorite stop of the entire trip.

motoring in style

i love a road trip! it was a beautiful day for this little journey that took us through the French countryside with a stop at Reims for Chagall and champagne.

sweet suite

i know. but i couldn’t help myself. i told Spy that we’re coming back for our 10th anniversary without Miss Girl and having already seen all the sites of Strasbourg can just spend a long weekend holed up in this room at the Hilton Strasbourg.

speaking of seeing the sites . . .

two days was a totally comfortable amount of time to feel like we’d explored, tasted and shopped all we needed to. the only thing i didn’t get to do that i’d wanted to was the boat ride. for some reason, boats weren’t really running the main day we were sightseeing. perhaps that’s the one reason i’ll leave the hotel room when we come back.

and because we could . . .

yep. we walked to Germany for happy hour. there is a beautiful pedestrian bridge that (depending on your point of view) starts in Strasbourg and ends on the other side of the Rhine in Kehl, Germany. we took the lovely stroll, then found Villa Schmidt — with the perfect riverside patio for sundowners (German this time, of course).

next stop, Route des Vins. stay tuned!

Advertisements

12 Comments Add yours

1. It was so great to see those pictures – brought me back to the two summers I spent extended time there!! What a great experience you’ve had 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Kristin says:

yay! happy to bring back some memories 🙂 so many wonderful things to see — it was truly an amazing trip!

Liked by 1 person

2. ugh. there’s nothing like a European church (cathedral? basillica?). that stained glass!

Liked by 1 person

3. Shauna841505 says:

Gorgeous!!!! This stop definitely looks amazing. That little town is beautiful!

4. Cbrvince says:

Read your article because your were shared by Strasbourg the europtimist on fb.
    Makes me proud, and am very glad that you actually enjoyed your stay there.
    I arrived in Strasbourg 20 years ago, left several times but always came back because you can just never leave this Canaan land of wine and beer.
    Next time, you have to visit Elsass in september when the vineyards begin to turn red, wandering through puppet-house looking villages covered with flowers and bathed in the sun. My favorite time in Elsass.
    Greetings from Strasbourg !

Liked by 1 person

1. Kristin says:

yay! thank you so much for visiting! Strasbourg was my favorite part of our whole trip. such beauty and history, as well as very friendly people — you should be proud! I would love to come back for an entire week. September sounds perfect! 😊

5. Jack Typhus says:

J’adore aussi Strasbourg, c’est pour cela que j’écris au quotidien un blog sur ma ville : http://www.blogkapoue.com ! Bravo pour votre article.

Liked by 1 person

1. Kristin says:

j’adore votre blog! et j’adore Strasbourg 🙂 merci de votre visit et votre commentaire!

6. Alex says:

December would a better choice : it’s Christmass time !!

Liked by 1 person

1. Kristin says:

hahaha. maybe we’ll just move. sounds like every time of year is the best in Strasbourg! 😉

7. Lived there myself for a while–I love that city!

Liked by 1 person

1. Kristin says:

I could definitely live there for a while!