wow, a lot has happened in the past 2 weeks. that’s all immo say to intro this edition of my summer recap series! read on. hope y’all are having a wonderful summer so far!
the past 2 weeks’ top lessons
- camp is exhausting. for everyone. by the end of the first 2 weeks, Miss Girl was beyond tired. not just sleepy “i can’t wake up in the morning” tired, but ultra-bitchy “i will cut you if you even think about asking me to get dressed any faster” tired. after 3 straight mornings of 45 minute drama sessions just to get her in a bathing suit and shorts, i couldn’t take it anymore. i made the executive decision to pull her out for a week to give all of us a break.
- a week without camp is chaotic, but worth it. let me be clear. my morning situation improved dramatically last week. no racing around to pack snacks and towels and water bottles. no tears or screaming just to get out of the house. it was pretty wonderful to just get up and go to work like a normal person. or, on the days i had mommy duty in the morning, sit around drinking coffee and doing work in my nightgown, while she buzzed around doing her thing. that said, all the who’s gotta be where when drama that comes with trying to work and juggle child care was kind of nutty. that said, it feels like all of us are caught up on sleep and now have strength to hit it again next week.
- weekday evenings at the pool are blissful. with our more flexible schedule this past week, we were able to enjoy some of these mysterious times reserved for people who don’t keep ad agency hours. i did notice one evening when we went around 4:30 that it was all women (who i presume don’t work/work at home) and kids. hrmmm. it was less crowded, more relaxed and such a nice way to wind down the day before dinner. i have to figure out how these people do it!
- your world can change in a split second. the past 24 hours have been kind of crazy. without going into a lot of detail, Miss Girl had an accident that landed her in the emergency room on Friday night. she is fine. she has a mild head injury and needs to take it easy for the next few weeks. knock on wood, we seem to have some lucky stars over our heads, and everything always seems to work out okay. but sitting there last night, watching my sweet girl resting, hooked up to the monitors, i couldn’t help but think about what if it didn’t? it was a big wake-up call to slow down and appreciate what really matters.
- it’s hard to say goodbye to old friends. and as if a night in the ER weren’t hard enough, we had to put down our dear, sweet Mr. P this morning. i will probably write more about it later, but suffice to say, he was my best friend for 15 years. he was there through every single thing that happened in my life. he knew how to make me smile and where the bodies are buried. and it just hurts my heart that he won’t be part of my life anymore, as well as to know that this is in many ways the end of an era.
between these last 2 list items, i have ugly-cried and tribal-woman wailed so much today that i kind of feel like a complete maniac! but whatevs. it was mostly in the privacy of my own car. and the Passat rocks some tinted windows. week 4 of summer is another week, right? here’s hoping the kinks are worked out, the bad stuff is behind us and there are more pool evenings in our future!